Policy and Advocacy Committee Activities
- The DCDT Policy and Advocacy Committee completed the following activities.
- In collaboration with CEC, our committee submitted recommended language on policy priorities for the reauthorization of the Carl D. Perkins Act.
- To ensure secondary transition for students with disabilities is addressed in the reauthorization of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act (IDEA), our committee submitted to CEC a letter requesting that someone from DCDT be included on the IDEA Work Group developed by CEC.
- The DCDT Government Relations Committee with the support of the executive committee members submitted testimony to the National Interagency Committee on Disability Research. ICDR held their public stakeholder's meetings, August 5 and 13, 2008 "to allow individuals with disabilities and their representatives (family members, organizations, service providers, disability and rehabilitation research and policy groups, advocacy organizations with specialized disability knowledge) the opportunity to suggest specific ways to improve future disability and rehabilitation research to benefit individuals with disabilities."
- ICDR also sought information from concerned individuals regarding the effectiveness of the existing federal research programs in response to the changing needs of individuals with disabilities. These comments covered a wide range of research areas, including, among others:
- Employment of people with disabilities
- Community integration and continuum of care
- Health disparities
- Access to assistive technology and universal design
- Transition of youth to employment and independent living
- Availability of accessible housing, transportation and recreation