Who are We?
The University of Winnipeg Student Chapter is one of three student chapters for the Manitoba Council for Exceptional Children.
What do we Do?
The UW student chapter is dedicated to providing Professional and Personal Development opportunities to future educators, and university students. There are various ways we do this:
- SAGE Conferences (Special Area Groups for Educators)
- Each year UW sends volunteers to help out at the conference, and in exchange sit in on sessions.
- PD Sessions
- The UW MCEC Chapter sets up PD sessions through the UW education departments lunchtime series, as well as independent mini conferences annually (NEW to 2014-2015!). We aim to provide students with background information of MCEC, and hands on practical information about working with students with exceptionalities to help them feel confident in their abilities and give them the tools they'll need as teachers.
- MCEC's Conference
- This two day conference in February during Reading Week is great for students to network, volunteer at and in exchange sit in on sessions, learn, and be engaged in exciting topics.
- Yes I Can Awards
- We strongly encourage anyone who works with children to come to this feel good night of the year. As educators it will warm your heart to hear the stories of progress and you'll be inspired by the Teachers and Educational Assistants of the year! It is held during the MCEC February Conference.
MCEC offers two scholarships to support grade 12 or returning university students from Manitoba who are pursuing a career directly related to working with persons with exceptionalities. The individuals must be entering or in a current full time education program in a Canadian institution. The scholarship money will be given directly to the recipient upon verification of enrolment. Please see the Scholarship tab on this website for more information.
U of W Student Chapter Executive:
Each position is held for one year. If you're interested in sitting on the executive and making a difference at UW, and in Winnipeg please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.