- Career development and transition are the cornerstones for successful transition and positive post-school outcomes.
- Career development and transition activities promote self-sufficiency at a critical time in the growth and development of individuals with exceptionalities.
- Career development and transition processes are developmental and should have a life planning perspective.
- Career development and transition processes should address the culturally relevant preferences, strengths, and needs of youth, maximizing equity in post-school outcomes across disability, racial/ethnicity, socioeconomic, linguistic, and other home/school community characteristics.
- Career development and transition interventions should focus on the individuals and promote self-determination.
- Career development and transition processes assume and require interdisciplinary and interagency collaboration, and new connections among parents and professionals in education, community services, and employment sectors.