Career Development and Transition for Exceptional Individuals (CDTEI)
This publication Is the official journal of the Division on career development and Transition and is published three times a year. This publication is distributed only to members of DCDT. It presents various articles and position papers dealing with the latest research activities, model programs and issues pertaining to career development and transition.
Co-Editors: David Test
and Bob Algozzine
DCDT Statement on Developing Position Papers
CDTEI Access for New Members Members with Existing Accounts
DCDT Network Newsletters (Members Only)
The Network is published three times a year and distributed to all members of our organization.
Editor: Meg Grigal
Tips for Transition
The Division on Career Development and Transition (DCDT) and the Transition Coalition have collected and disseminated these tips in an effort to enhance public access to information about transition activities. Our intention is to provide resources that are current and accurate. We do not endorse or promote any of the products, Web sites, or ideas presented in the tips. Although every attempt is made to ensure the accuracy of this information, we can make no guarantees. Please credit the source when copying all or part of this material.
Transition Resource Guide
The Transition Resource Table contains frequently used low-cost/ no-cost web-based transition resources available to professionals, students with disabilities, and their families.The tables contain resources for professional development, teacher use, student use, and parent/family use. This resource table with be updated on a tri-monthly basis to ensure all information is up-to-date and current.
Age-Appropriate Transition Assessment : The Position of the Division on Career Development and Transition Neubert,D.A, Leconte, P.J. (2013) Career Development and Transition for Exceptional Individuals, 36 (2) 72-83
" Abstract Full Article
The Transition of Youth With disabilities to Adult Life: A position statement of the Division on Career Development and Transition" Halpern, A.S. (1994). Career Development for Exceptional Individuals, 17(2), 115-124.
" Full Article
Clark, G.M., Field, S., Patton, J.R., Brolin, D.E., & Sitlington, P.L. (1994). Career Development For Exceptional Individuals, 17(2), 125-134. Life Skills instruction: A Necessary Component for All Students with Disabilities: A position statement of the Division on Career Development and Transition" Full Article
Benz, M.R., and Kochhar, C.A. (1996). Career Development For Exceptional Individuals, 19(1), 31-48. "School-to-Work Opportunities for All Students: A Position Statement of the Division on Career Development and Transition" Full Article
Sitlinton, P.L., Neubert, D.A., & Leconte, P.J. (1997). Career Development For Exceptional Individuals, 20(1), 69-79. "Transition Assessment: A Position Statement of the Division on Career Development and Transition" Full Article
Field, S., Martin, J., Miller, R., Ward, M. & Wehmeyer, M. (1998). Career Development for Exceptional Individuals, 21(2), 113-128. "Self-Determination for Persons With Disabilities: A Position Statement of the Division on Career Development and Transition" Abstract Full Article
Blalock, G., Kochhar-Bryant, C. A., Test, D. W., Kohler, P., White, W., Lehman, J., Bassett, D., & Patton, J. (2003). Career Development for Exceptional Individuals, 26, 207-226. "The need for comprehensive personnel preparation in transition and career development: A position statement of the Division on Career Development and Transition. Abstract Full Article
Trainor, A.A., Lindstrom, L., Simon-Burroughs, M., Martin, J.E., & Sorrells, A.M. (2008). Career Development for Exceptional Individuals, 31, 56-64. "From Marginalized to Maximized Opportunities for Diverse Youths With Disabilities: A Position Paper of the Division on Career Development and Transition" Abstract Full Article
Morningstar, M. E., Bassett, D. S., Kochhar-Bryant, C., Cashman, J., & Wehmeyer, M. L. (2012). Aligning transition services with secondary education reform: A position statement of the Division on Career Development and Transition. Career development and transition for exceptional individuals. Full Article
Mazzotti, V. L., Rowe, D. R., Cameto, R., Test, D. W., & Morningstar, M. (2013). Establishing evidence-based practices and predictors: A position paper of DCDT. Career Development and Transition for Exceptional Individuals, 36, 140-151. doi: 10.1177/2165143413503365 Abstract Full Article
DCDT Publications for Sale
The following publications are available for purchase on the CEC website
with discounted prices for members.
- Transition of Secondary Students with Emotional or Behavioral Disorders — D. Cheney. (2004). #D5659.
- Aligning Transition and Standards-Based Education: Issues and Strategies — C. A. Kochhar-Bryant and D. S. Bassett. (2003). #P5526.
- The Role of Families in Secondary Transition; A Practitioner's Facilitation Guide — D. Wandry and A. Pleet. (2003). #P5530.
- A Practical Guide for Teaching Self-Determination — S. Field, J. Martin, B. Miller, M. Ward, & M. Wehmeyer. (1997). #P5231.
- Integrating Transition Planning in the IEP Process — L.L. West, S. Corbey, A. Boyer-Stephens, B. Jones, R.J. Miller, & M. Sarkees-Wircenski. (1999). #P386S,
- Transition from School to Life: A Complete University Course for Special Educators. — J.E. Martin and P.D. Kohler. (1998). #P5321.
- Transition from School to Life: A Workshop Series for Educators and Transition Service Providers - P.D. Kohler, S. Field, M. Izzo, and J. Johnson. (1998). #P5320 (Available from Corwin Press. DCDT members receive a discount by using the priority code D7624.)
- Assess for Success: Handbook for Transition Assessment (2nd ed.) — P.L. Sitlington, D.A. Neubert, W. Begun, R.C. Lombard, & P.J. Leconte. (2007)