Establishing a “professional home” for Deafblindness in DVI
Bringing together university/college personnel prep program instructors and students, technical assistance project personnel, teachers and interveners, and families for partnership in professional development and advocacy.
- A natural follow-up to the housing of DB teacher and intervener competencies under the umbrella of CEC-DVI.
- An opportunity for collaborative planning in professional development
- A vehicle to reflect, collectively, recommendations for IDEA reauthorization – i.e. advocacy efforts for formalizing teacher and intervener roles in the field
Special Opportunities for Professionals in Deafblindness at the
2014 CEC Conference – www.cec.sped.org/convention
April 10, 2014 DVI General Business meeting (6:15 – 8:15 p.m.) IMPORTANT – one action item that will be voted on is the name change from Division on Visual Impairment (DVI) to Division on Visual Impairment & Deafblindness (DVI DB). Please come support the new name.
April 10, 2014 DVI Social (8:30 – 10:30 p.m.)
Highlighting Deafblindness through Posters and Publications
Opportunity for showing current efforts and innovations in deafblindness (personnel prep, technical assistance, and direct service practices) – evidences of what the field of deafblindness is doing to build the profession. For more information on sharing a poster please contact:
Dr. Amy Parker email@example.com
Dr.Nicole Johnson firstname.lastname@example.org (Helen Keller Fellow, Cohort #1)
April 11, 2014 The "DVI Deafblind Committee Community Forum" (1:00 - 3:30 p.m.)
- Review of Deafblind professional development current situation, with a mindset on future collaborative models
- Existing personnel prep efforts for teachers and interveners
- Existing professional development and technical assistance efforts for teachers and interveners
- Existing resources and potential models for sustaining professional development efforts - personnel prep and technical assistance
- Existing and potential partnerships with families, consumers, teachers, interveners and local support providers
- Development of Deafblind focused research agenda (expanding on the work of the NCDB Personnel Prep Task Force) – furthering the immediate opportunity in CEC-DVI for brief articles with Deafblind focus for publication in DVIQ
- Planning for needed, collective, advocacy for building capacity of Deafblind service delivery